Bride

 

Bride

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

     Music is powerful, especially to the ones given to it.  I was introduced to this Christian rock band in approximately 1994.  Since then, they have helped deprogram me.  From 1980 I had lived on a voracious diet of heavy metal music.  So pounded the rhythms through my head that it hit my heels at the Friday night street dance.  The local band, perched on a semi flatbed, blared their screeches as I flung about like a whirling dervish.  My calves hurt the next day.

     There was something about music.  Rock music unlocked my energies of self-expression.  Moving about, possessed by an inner connection of soul, I could feel the music move me.  Thus, heavy metal burned traces through my mind.

     God says to think upon positive things.  He commands this as a caring Father.  He knows our meditations breed attitudes.  Upon my rededication to Him in 1990, I realized much of my memorized lyrics of secular rock violated His holiness.  He called me to health from the inside out.

     It was a rough road from defilement to praise.  My temple needed a lot of scrubbing.   Molded scum laced the floors and hid in the seams.  I apologized for the fecal material which surrounded every step.  Defecated ways threatened every pure tune He brought in.  My heart I caught humming previous adulterated lyrics of hedonism.  But we cleaned on.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

     In time I cut every tie back to the old music.  I purged my secular collection and became determined to fill my mind with Christian themes which came through my car stereo and headphones.  I turned and grabbed forward for His purity.

     Today I don’t regret giving up the tainted consumption which churned my soul in sickness.  I have rock bands like Bride to thank for taking up residence and filling my temple with sweetness.  The antichristian aftertaste does not linger any longer.

      I encourage anyone so given to music as I to examine your influence.  Some are worth abandoning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When George Comes to Visit

The Operands

Brother! You're A Nut!